Remember how I was so happy that 2 Thursday's ago marked V day? As my luck would have it, that Thursday, June 30th was the day that, of all days, I wish I wasn't 24 weeks yet.
I had a cervical length check that day...I was so clueless to what was about to happen that I didnt even send an email out at work letting them know I had an appt. I mean, it was local and I wouldnt be more than an hour...no one would even notice I'm gone right? I peeked my head in to my coworker, let her know that I had an appt. real quick incase anyone asked and that I would be right back.
2 weeks later and Im still not back...nor will I be going back probably until next year.
To put it as easy to comprehend as possible...my cervix was thinning out because of the pressure that was being put on it...the walking, stairs, getting up, all the normal day to day things was slowly breaking it down.
In a normal pregnancy, doctors like to see your cervix thickened to around 3 to 4 centimeters...and mine was just that back in mid June! And within 2 short weeks it went down to .6 centimeters and I was 1cm dilated. NOT GOOD. I was admitted immediately to be monitored and treated.
First things first...steroid shots. They administered these asap just incase Allie was to come early and they wanted to develop her lungs as much as possible. And as a girl who hates shots of any kind, I was freaking out that I was going to get shots in my booty! haha but as most of these things go, it wasn't nearly as bad as I made it out to be. So I got one shot on the 30th and the next shot on the 1st.
The next thing to test for was called the FFN...or fetal fibronectin test. Here is the definition:
---Fetal fibronectin is a protein that acts as a "glue" during pregnancy, attaching the amniotic sac — the fluid-filled membrane that cushions your baby in the uterus — to the lining of the uterus.
Fetal fibronectin is often present in cervical secretions during early pregnancy. Fetal fibronectin also shows up later in pregnancy, about one to three weeks before labor begins. If your health care provider is concerned about preterm labor, he or she may test a swab from your cervical canal for the presence of fetal fibronectin. A positive fetal fibronectin test is a clue that the "glue" has been disturbed and you're at increased risk of preterm labor.---
You want this test to be negative. When negative, it gives you a less than 1% chance of pre-term labor...if its positive...it goes from less than 1% to 17%. So yeah, the odds are still good that you WONT go into pre-term labor, but there is still a slight chance that it can happen.
Of course, my first one was positive. So aside from being scared out of my mind, Dr. Elliot (who I LOVE!) suggested a regimen of motrin daily which, as studies have shown, can turn a positive FFN test into a negative. It only showed to have one possible side affect which is low amniotic fluid and that can be reversed...so I pretty much had nothing to lose. On to the motrin I went...
Im going to try and post each event as it happened...and since its been about a month I might be a little jumbled so please forgive me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment