Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tis the season for...everything!

I spent a lot of time getting information together to apply for SSI for Allie. Based on her gestation and birth and birth weight, she is technically 'disabled' and should qualify.
I got all my paper work together and had my interview yesterday with the Social Security office. Not even half way through, our interview was cut short because our gross income exceeds the qualifying limit by about $98. Ninety eight! Talk about frustrating and disappointing.

Where I made my mistake afterwards, was complaining about it on Facebook. I usually keep my mouth shut about things like that on FB...I dont get involved in politics or religious views because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how much my opinion agrees or disagrees with theirs.

But my own personal post kind of spiraled into a much broader subject about the government and healthcare benefits/welfare/WIC/all that good stuff. I have my own opinions about certain things, as I said, but I didn't mean for that post to go where it went. I was more upset that I pay taxes to a program that I can't benefit from in this one situation where it would really come in handy!! I dont need everything paid for me for the rest of my life...but just a little "hey here is some of your special formula at a discounted rate!" or "we're going to cover a one time payment of $500 towards a medical bill" or however they do it haha. I mean every penny makes a difference!!! Im just a bitter critter. But I vented and I got over it. I just shouldnt have vented on FB.

I feel really bad about it and I feel even worse because honestly, I should be so thankful that I have a job, an income, health insurance, 401k, etc. The last thing I should be doing right now is complaining that the government won't give me money. Does it suck? Sure! Is it going to be hard? Yep! But will we make it through? Of course. Maybe its a blessing in disguise...I think it will really help me brush up on my budgeting skills (or lack thereof).

We have a roof over our heads, clothes on our back, our bills are always paid, and we have a cozy little room with amazing things in it for our little girl when she comes home. Why the heck should I be ranting about the stupid government!?!!! I have so much more to be happy and thankful for. I feel like such a loser. I almost wanted to take my post down but its how I honestly felt after being denied and hanging up the phone...so it is what it is.

I guess I just wanted to somehow put this "apology" of sorts out in the universe. I know many people abuse the system and they make me very upset, but not EVERYone does this and there are so many families that are able to survive and do great things with their lives because of financial assistance. That's what the program is for. We may not qualify...but you know what, that's ok. At least we tried!

No comments:

Post a Comment